Disney's Magical Express Downtown Disney pickup trial

News Updates about the Port Orleans Resorts.
Forum rules
Comments are welcome in response to news posts, but you can't start your own news topics here.
The Sassagoula Sentinel

Disney's Magical Express Downtown Disney pickup trial

Unread post by The Sassagoula Sentinel »

As part of a test running from 1-31 August, guests using Disney’s Magical Express service and staying at Port Orleans Riverside or Port Orleans French Quarter will be able to opt to leave for the airport from the Downtown Disney area rather than from their resort.

This presents an additional opportunity for guests to enjoy shopping, dining and entertainment at Downtown Disney to complete their Walt Disney World Resort experience. [OK, that Disney-speak translates to "lets you spend even more money with Disney"]

Eligible guests must have a domestic flight that departs from Orlando International Airport between 3 pm and midnight, or an international flight between 4 pm and 1 am, on the day of check out.

Reservations should be made no later than 48 hours prior to departure by calling the automated reservation line at (407) 566-6900.

Disney’s Magical Express motorcoaches depart from the center of Downtown Disney, near the Pleasure Island bridge closest to Raglan Road Pub and Restaurant. Area signage and Disney’s Magical Express Cast Members will be available from noon-9 pm to provide assistance and directions for guests. There will also be information leaflets at the resort.

Guests must arrive at least 15 minutes prior to their scheduled departure time, which will be approximately three hours prior to domestic flight times, and four hours prior for international flights. Disney’s Magical Express motorcoaches may make multiple stops and will depart promptly.

Participating guest luggage can be handled in the following ways:
  • Resort Airline Check in: It is recommended that guests participate in Resort Airline Check-in if possible (details of this service are provided at Resort check-in)
  • Resort Bell Services Transfer: Alternatively, guests can check luggage, including carry-on luggage, with the Resort Bell Services team to be transferred to the Disney’s Magical Express Bus Stop at Downtown Disney, where Guests will claim their bags prior to boarding the motorcoach. Allow at least two hours prior to your scheduled motorcoach departure time. Luggage will travel with Guests on the motorcoach.
For more information, you can call Disney’s Magical Express on 1-866-599-0951.
annmorr

Re: Disney's Magical Express Downtown Disney pickup trial

Unread post by annmorr »

I'm not sure that I will like that there is another pick-up added to the ME route - the trip from Port Orleans to the airport already stops at both Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. It seems to me that adding another stop at Downtown Disney will just increase the time needed for transportation. I know that all of my shopping will be done well before my departure day, so this might be more of an inconvenience than a convenience!
jennieakamary

Unread post by jennieakamary »

We left last Wednesday and were booked on the 3:30pm pick up from POR for the 7:30 flight by VH, at DTD check in they encouraged us to swap to this new trial but the pick up time was 5:30pm! Having tried this several years ago and barely making the flight, we will always go on the earlier pick up time. It definitely wasn't a 4 hour gap between pick up and flight time at DTD. :(
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

Two hours from DTD before flight time for an international flight? That is NO WHERE near enough room for safety, especially as you have to check your own bags at the airport. Maybe for a US flight where your bags are checked by Disney, but even then it does not allow for traffic issues, etc. I think they made a mistake with that timing.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
MArri1998

Unread post by MArri1998 »

We are staying at POR in mid-September. Since we have to be out of our rooms by 11am, but don't have to catch a plane until 5:30 pm, we plan to have lunch at DTD. Catching the Magical Express there would save us the 1/2 hour boat ride back to POR. Any chance the "test" will be made permanent if all goes well?
Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin »

I doubt it will continue beyond the end of August, but it will probably come back in a fuller form at some later stage. You never know though.

Andre
- The Unofficial Visitor's Guide to the Port Orleans Resorts in Orlando, Florida -
Thorpy

Unread post by Thorpy »

MArri1998 wrote:We are staying at POR in mid-September. Since we have to be out of our rooms by 11am, but don't have to catch a plane until 5:30 pm, we plan to have lunch at DTD. Catching the Magical Express there would save us the 1/2 hour boat ride back to POR. Any chance the "test" will be made permanent if all goes well?
I take it you're checking bags at the resort int he morning ?